Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April 17 "Under the Care" I Samuel 25-27

Under the Providence.  David takes a spear.  He moves into the camp of Saul, takes his spear as proof.  He was there.  God was there, too.  And David's response:  Who can raise his hand against his king and be guiltless?  David held honor for this king's calling.  I Samuel 25:9.  David knew that all things were under God's hand.

Under the Mercy.  In I Sam 26:39, David takes a widow.  Abigail, as his own wife.  Abigail's response is so beautiful:  "She bowed with her face to the ground and said, "Behold, your handmaid is a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my lord."  A powerful strong man is asking for Abigail's hand.  And she is ready to serve.

Under the Care.  God takes care of David in his wilderness.  Saul's army falls into a deep sleep caused by the hand of God so David could enter and reveal God's beauty to Saul.  David would not lift a finger to prove his point, to take revenge, to make a statement.  David lived in "spent sorrow."  He never took matters into his own hands even when all aligned.  This is holiness --- not righting wrongs but rightly dividing the Word of God.  No spears.  No personal agendas.

COME BOLDLY:  Timeless Prayers
Father, What stirs within our hearts this day?  Am I wrapped and warped in my own plans or how I think You should act.  Please come and be the Ruler of my life.  I lay down my own rule.  No more spears of tongue and hand and feet.  Make us a people ready to serve like Abigail and reflect Your Beauty.  And where we "miss," thank you for unknown fresh new grace.  Under the Grace of God.

PHOTO:  I saw the sun set tonight at the Quarries Lake and ran to meet it saying in my heart Psalm 56:9.  My God is for me, even in the midst of all of this.  

5 comments:

  1. Annette alluded to this the other night. These words fall so fresh on me like I'm reading them for the first time. How can that be? No spears of vengeance for David. I so rared up today when my rights were violated in a tiny way. I wanted justice. Oh David! This is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I think "rared up" is southern for "reared up." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David was a "dead"man,he had no rights. He showed us this long before Christ came.When we have died with Christ, then we are dead women who no longer have "rights". So when our feelings get hurt or we are offended we are to push them off, because we are "dead". David lived this out when Saul kept after him and he had the opportunity to harm Saul.he did not! Oh, what an example David showed us long before our Lord lived it for us. This is one of the hardest lessons to learn...and we are given the opportunity to learn it over and over. The Psalms have spoken much peace and wisdom into my life for so many years. So grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The theme seems to be forgiveness here. I recently was offended by someone and it hurt. I keep hearing the song: 7 x 70 by Chris August.

    I've been living in this house here
    Since the day that I was born
    These walls have seen me happy
    But most of all they've seen me torn

    They've heard the screaming matches
    That made a family fall apart
    They've had a front row seat
    To the breaking of my heart

    7 times 70 times
    I'll do what it takes to make it right
    I thought the pain was here to stay
    But forgiveness made a way

    7 times 70 times
    There's healing in the air tonight
    I'm reaching up to pull it down
    Gonna wrap it all around

    I remember running down the hallway
    Playing hide and seek
    I didn't know that I was searching
    For someone to notice me

    I felt alone and undiscovered
    And old enough to understand
    Just when I'm supposed to be learning to love
    You let me doubt again

    7 times 70 times
    I'll do what it takes to make it right
    I thought the pain was here to stay
    But forgiveness made a way

    7 times 70 times
    There's healing in the air tonight
    I'm reaching up to pull it down
    Gonna wrap it all around

    I lost count of the ways you let me down
    But no matter how many times
    You weren't around
    I'm all right now

    God picked up my heart and helped me through
    And shined a light on the one thing
    Left to do
    And that's forgive you

    I forgive you

    7 times 70 times
    If that's the cost I'll pay the price

    7 times 70 times
    I'll do what it takes to make it right
    I thought the pain was here to stay
    But forgiveness made a way

    7 times 70 times
    There's healing in this house tonight
    I'm reaching up to pull it down
    Gonna wrap it all around

    Yeah, I'm gonna wrap it all around

    I've been living in this house here
    Since the day that I was born









    Submit Corrections
    CHRIS AUGUST Lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Jan!!!! I have never heard this. I'll have to go listen in You Tube. But these words!!!! Oh. My. Goodness. They are deeply moving to me in my match-filled childhood. This is so good. God is calling me to repent no matter what anyone has done to me nor how awful. And not only my childhood but my adulthood. All I can deal with is me. That's who I am responsible for. Thank you so much for posting this memorable song----I'll carry it with me.

    ReplyDelete